LHA logo

Improving the lives of local residents

Home About us Our people How to Universal Credit

How do I apply?

UC logo

You can ONLY apply online at http://www.gov.uk/universal-credit.

To complete your claim you will need the following:

  • A bank account;
  • An email address;
  • Your address including postcode;
  • Your national insurance number;
  • The amount of rent you have to pay;
  • Details of all your earnings;
  • Details of any savings or investments;
  • Any details of how much you pay for childcare;
  • Any child benefit reference numbers.

If you want to find out more you can contact the DWP Universal Credit Helpline on 0800 328 5644.

Universal Credit (UC) Full Service Rollout is now here!

This means that any new claim for the six legacy benefits (housing benefit, income related ESA, income related JSA, working tax credits, child tax credits, income support) will not be processed and you will be advised to claim Universal Credit for both income and any help to pay your rent (housing costs). !

If you are currently on Universal Credit ‘live service’ you will need to claim again for the full service online. If you do not do this then your UC money will stop. You should seek further advice from the DWP if you are unclear about when to do this.

What if I don't have what I need to claim?

Can I get support until my claim is processed?

What about help to pay my rent?

If you do not have access to apply online from a computer or phone, please contact your Customer Service Team and we can advise you where to go in the local area for online access.

You may be able to claim by phone if you cannot use a computer if you have problems with reading or writing.

To start a claim by phone, call the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644.

You can apply for a universal Credit advance payment after you have made your claim by contacting your UC Work Coach. You will be able to do this through your online accounts.

UC is paid in a single monthly payment in arrears. After you get your first payment, you can ask to get it paid twice in the month instead.

You might also be entitled to apply for a crisis grant to cover the cost of food or gas/electric bills. You can do this by contacting the Scottish Welfare Fund within Glasgow City Council on 0141-276-1177.

Your UC payment includes money to help you pay your rent (replacing housing benefit if you were entitled to this before). This will mean that you will be responsible for paying your rent to Linthouse Housing Association. Depending on your entitlement to UC, you might not get all your rent paid and will have some to pay yourself. If you are unsure, make sure you contact you Customer Services Officer or Assistant.

You will get paid your rent payment into your bank account when you receive your first payment of UC – it is really important that you arrange to pay this to Linthouse Housing Association to stop you getting rent arrears. After your first payment of UC you can arrange for your rent element to be paid direct to the Association but you must ask for this.

You will also need to apply again for Discretionary Housing Payment if you receive this now or in in the past for having an extra bedroom or if you were affected by the benefit cap.

You should also apply for Council Tax Reduction separately through Glasgow City Council.

Money Matters

UC logo

Remember that we can arrange an appointment in our office with Money Matters who can help you with your UC claim and/or any other benefits or money advice claims.

You can also speak to the Customer Services Team for your area – we are always happy to help. The office phone number is 0141-445-4418.

Full UC guidance

You can find the full UC application guidance by clicking on the image below.

UC guide

Linthouse Housing Association, 1 Cressy St, Glasgow G51 4RB. Telephone: 0141 445 4418, Email:
enquiries@linthouseha.com. Linthouse Housing Association is registered with the Financial Conduct Authority, registration number 1800RS, the Scottish Housing Regulatory, registration number 149, and is a charity registered in Scotland, registration number SC028161. A copy of our Data Protection Policy is available by clicking here.